Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Wednesday's Wisdom....

Dress for success....

  Perhaps like many of you, I often find myself "distracted" and drawn to the computer or some other electronic device - just to "check" one more thing.  Invariably, the minutes fly and I find that very little has been accomplished.

While the Englishman was recently on a business trip to Japan, I made a list of several jobs around the house I wanted to get to.  On the morning he departed, I donned one of my aprons. 
And do you know what I discovered?
 I spent far more time attending to my list than glaring at a screen.
Wood trim was painted a crisp white, shelves were cleared and washed, closets organized.

In part, I believe, because I put on that apron.

Years and years ago, my mother related a story to us.  A relative of hers worked for the insurance company which covered claims for an NYC bus company.  They were having to pay out sizable amounts of money, on numerous accidents, until he came up with a suggestion.  
He recommended that the drivers wear uniforms. 
 The result?  The accident rate was cut in half!!
He believed that the drivers, while wearing the uniform, took more pride in their work and paid closer attention to what they were doing.  The positive results showed that he was probably right.

It occurred to me that perhaps I need to don my own "uniform" of sorts, 
when I want to set about tackling my "to do" list each day. 

If I dress the part, I'll act the part.


No comments:

Post a Comment