Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Wednesday's Wisdom....

"All we're ever asked to do in this life is to treat our neighbor ~ especially our neighbor who is in need ~ exactly as we would hope to be treated ourselves. That's our ultimate responsibility."
Fred Rogers ~ Life's Journeys According to Mister Rogers

Sounds like the Golden Rule ~
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

I hung that banner in my classroom every year. On the first day of school I would point it out my students and ask them if they knew what it meant. I was usually greeted with blank stares. Once I suggested things like, "Would you like someone to be nice to you? Would you like someone to share their snack with you? Would you like someone to call you names or leave you out of a game?" you could see the light go on as its meaning would start to become clear. 

In times of trouble and of joy, I try to think, "What would I like someone to do for me?" and then I try to do that for others. 


No comments:

Post a Comment