Monday, July 22, 2019

A Monday Memory....

I got my first credit card in 1974 from the Harvard Coop in Cambridge, MA. (No, I didn't attend Harvard, but a small woman's teacher training college named Lesley College, across the street from Harvard Law School.) When I married in 1979, I opened up charge cards at Lord and Taylor's, B. Altman's, Bambergers (now Macy's) and others. I haven't actually used any of them for several years now, but the accounts are still open and active.
I recently received a letter from Target store, where I opened an account in 2011. They stated, "We haven't seen you in a while, so we're writing to inform you that it is our policy to close Target Credit Card accounts that are inactive for an extended period of time." Extended period of time? The last time I shopped there was November. The letter went on to say that I still had time to shop before another letter would follow and they would take steps to close the account. 
I really didn't care for the tone of the letter and the feeling it gave of almost being threatened. So this morning I called and closed the account myself. Their policy doesn't exactly come across to me as "customer friendly."
I prefer to take my business where I feel comfortable and appreciated, and where I don't have to follow a timetable. I suspect others feel the same way too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment