Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Wednesday's Wisdom....

Don't project!!

A phone call last week from my doctor's office gave me a very quick overview of some recent blood work I had done.  One result I fully expected, as it is a problem I deal with on and off.  But one of them sort of threw me.  Not serious, just "pre" serious.
Sounding ominous, she continued, "The doctor would like you to keep your appointment with her next week and she will discuss the results with you then."

OK.  Don't panic, I thought.  Talked it over with the Englishman and let my three daughters know.
Then I went on the Internet.  Just for some information.  
But as often happens, I read a bit more than I needed to, and it led to a few anxious days.  And in my usual fashion, I started to construct conversations in my head that I fully intended to have with the doctor -  about how I would, or most certainly wouldn't, do this or that, etc.
I suspect a few of you know how that goes.

Happily, the doctor greeted me this morning with "got the results of your tests, 
and we can easily deal with things with diet and exercise, no medication required."
Phew!!!

We then discussed the tests results in detail and talked about specifics I need do to alter my lifestyle, which will improve my overall health, while also dealing with a couple of important issues.  As she is a "new to me" doctor, I was very relieved that Dr. K is similar to the doctor I had for over thirty years in both her relaxed approach to certain things and a reluctance to prescribe medication as a first response.

I was further relieved when I questioned her about my daily chocolate habit, which I feared I had to give up completely.  She said that was fine, everybody needs a little something.

But, she said, I do have to cut back my dark chocolate intake from three small squares to two.
A sacrifice to be sure, but one I'm prepared to make.

What's the lesson? 
Most of the time, what I envision is going to happen never actually comes to pass.  
The problem is that I live the emotions of it, before I even get there. 
I need to remember:

 Don't project what you think will be the outcome.
Wait and see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment