Monday, June 20, 2016

A Monday Memory....

Anyone remember these?
I came across this photo recently and it brought back such memories.

Gerber and Beech Nut were the brands of baby food served up to millions of us during the fifties and beyond.  I was raised on them, along with my siblings, and spoon fed them to my girls.

As a teenager, my absolute favorite was Gerber Junior Banana Dessert.
When I was in the hospital for a few surgeries and an accident, my parents would bring me several jars to stash in the cabinet next to my bed.
I ate countless jars of the stuff.
For years.

suspect I know why.
It must have been loaded with sugar!

I had read years ago that added sugar was more for the sake of the parents than the child, 
knowing Moms generally tasted the stuff while trying to entice baby to eat it.  
The more the Moms liked it, the more they would buy.
Now I see that many of the baby food products are "unsweetened."
That's a better, healthier choice.

These days, when I do have fruit, it is in its natural form.
My age and blood sugar levels have made that a necessity.

Oh, but I did enjoy that banana dessert....










No comments:

Post a Comment