Monday, May 20, 2013

A Monday memory....

Kensington Palace

The Englishman, daughter #1 and I had the distinct honor and privilege of attending a Black Tie Gala dinner in Kensington Palace last Saturday evening.  
Upon arrival, I joined a small group who were given a private tour of the room in which Queen Victoria was born, rooms in which she lived, and of numerous personal items of hers.  Among those were her wedding dress, family photographs, personal piano and the tiny portrait of her husband, Prince Albert, which she kept on her desk.
Following the tour, I rejoined the Englishman and daughter #1 in the King's Gallery just in time for them to greet and speak with our distinguished speaker for the evening, 
Lord Spencer.
Charles Spencer, brother of Princess Diana.

Lord Spencer spoke to the assembled guests briefly, and from the heart, about his sister. It was truly a memorable experience.


There was a professional photographer hired to take photographs, so I only snapped a few pictures with my iPhone.  
The paper cutouts caught my eye in the first room we entered on the tour.  I thought they were so whimsical and that the wee ones would enjoy seeing them. 


The sign reads:
"Presence Chamber
Lowly petitioners to the King make their case
here in front of the throne.
Those who wanted actual influence however,
had to travel further within."

I was also quite taken with the look of this clock, with the shapes of Great Britain, Ireland and France covering its face.

And yes, there was a red glow about the room.

We had a wonderful time during the week we were in London.  I will treasure always the memories of all that we experienced and the people we spent time with.

However, it truly is good to be home. 
As we approached the passport control section of Newark Airport, we were directed to walk down to the far end.  As I came closer, a very tall man who worked in that section called out with great feeling:
"Welcome home, folks!
As you can see, we left the light on for you!"

God bless that man!  What a sweet and wonderful way to be welcomed back to my country!


No comments:

Post a Comment