Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wednesday's Wisdom....

Catalog shopping

The number of catalogs that have entered my home via the post office, if laid end to end, would probably circle the globe. Multiple times.  Whereas, in the early years, I felt a certain excitement when a new one would fill the mailbox, these days I view them as more of a nuisance.  The majority of them go straight into the recycling bin.

For the most part, there is very little I need these days to arrive off the UPS or FedEx truck.  But every now and again I hold onto a catalog or two and study them carefully.  

My attitude used to be one of, "oh, I can't afford that" or "that would be too much of an extravagance". But I confess that having that approach would often leave me feeling like a "poor little thing," a nickname my Dad had for me when I was a small child.  So I decided to try a different approach.

When a favorite catalog arrives, I give it a quick scan, noting all the items that appeal to me and think - yes, maybe I'll order that.  Then I go through the same catalog again several more times, at a much slower pace and really give thought to each "maybe".  And nine times out of ten, I decide I don't actually want the item.

This new approach has eliminated that feeling of denial I used to have.  Instead, I look upon the exercise as one of having carefully considered my choices and made a decision that I am happy with.

Just thought I would share that in case it is of help to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment