Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Wednesday's Wisdom....

The things over which I have no control .... like today's weather.  

We, like many in the Tri-State area, awoke this morning to a coating of snow and ice on the ground. Not the usual experience for an April morning, but then this has been a rather unusual weather year. 

As my day began to unfold, I started to look for a possible "lesson" from Mother Nature's overnight joke, (a habit which can sometimes cause much sighing from my daughters.)  And then I found it.

Lesson:  I have absolutely no control over what the weather is.
Similarly, there are countless events in my life over which I have absolutley no control. 

 Having recognized this, what is my approach to this day?  Just to get on with it.
I took a few photos of the snow in the yard to record it.
I went on an errand in my car, driving slower than I normally have to do on a Spring day, in deference to the snowy covering on the road, but I didn't let the snow keep me from going out.
Now, the sun is shining, the ice and snow are melting, and it looks to be a beautiful day out there.

I'm reminded by this stumble in Spring's arrival that the majority of things going on in my life, today, are out of my control.  My job is to take care of those things which are mine to do, and leave the rest.
Sounds like the Serenity Prayer!

My Dad used to say he was glad it wasn't his job to wake up each morning and put the sun up in the sky. He said there might be days when he would forget and how sad that would be for everyone.
He was grateful not to have that responsiblilty.

I'm right there with you, Dad!







No comments:

Post a Comment