Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A Monday Memory.....on Tuesday

So, I meant to get this particular story written and posted yesterday, but the day got away from me and it didn't happen.  It has been spinning inside my head since then, so I think it best to write it down in order to find some quiet inside there.  Settle in, this will be a bit longer than usual.  Apologies.

Did anyone see the CBS News Sunday Morning program, 10/26, which had a piece about the new film coming out, The Imitation Game ?


The film portrays the British mathematician and computer scientist Alan Turing, a key figure in cracking Nazi Germany's Enigma code in a secret location at Bletchley Park, located north of London.  It stars Benedict Cumberbatch, who from the short clip I saw should most certainly win an Oscar for his portrayal.  I am a huge fan of his, though not to the degree as to which I could be classified as one of the  "Cumberpeople" - a lose description Benedict mentioned on the Graham Norton Show when asked about one of the many monikers of his fan base. But I digress.

Now, what does this film have to do with a memory of mine, you may ask.  All will be revealed....

The Englishman and I had a wonderful time together during our wedding reception, many years ago now.  Family and friends, some from as far away as England and Germany, joined in celebrating with us.  While standing with my groom during a lull in our dancing, I noticed my new father-in-law hastening towards us, the color quickly draining from his face.  He fervently inquired, "Do you know who that man is over there," pointing across the room, "and how he would know what my job is?" Seeing he was in distress, I put aside the directive given to my siblings and I growing up about the need for secrecy and announced, "Oh, that's my uncle.  He works for the FBI."  Relief flooded my father-in-law's face at the news.

You see, at that time, my father-in-law was working for the British Government in the afore mentioned, Bletchley Park.  His service at that location commenced after World War II, so he was not there during Alan Turing's tenure.  But since his work and the location of it was supposed to be a secret, I can well understand why he became so upset at my uncle's knowledge of his occupation.

For his part, I suppose my uncle simply wanted to be sure that his niece was making the right decision in her choice of husband, especially since I'd only known my new spouse a few months. Upon discovering he had done a "background check" on the Englishman, I will admit I breathed an added sigh of relief. For I must have chosen well, since my uncle made no attempt to put a stop to our nuptials ahead of time.

It probably would have been more helpful though, if he had mentioned his endeavours on my behalf before the big day, so as to spare my father-in-law a most dramatic testing of his heart!

1 comment: