Monday, April 20, 2015

A Monday Memory....

Wildlife in the suburbs...

Recent stories of coyotes, deer and bears being spotted in suburban areas brought a memory to mind.

The first house the Englishman and I purchased was at the end of a long, narrow lane, bordered by a thick woods along one side.  Our property also abutted an acre of woods at the rear.  I was to discover that in addition to the wonderful privacy and views this afforded us, it also brought with it an assortment of interesting critters.

The previous owners had installed a series of three metal garbage containers, set deep into the ground at the edge of the driveway.  Each were accessed by way of a handle attached to the lid.  I never gave it much thought as to why the cans were "buried" and simply used them as they were.

Until one particular morning.  

While bustling through my daily routine, I headed out to the driveway to place yet another bag of garbage in the cans.  As I raised the lid, I was very surprised to find a pair of eyes staring up at me! My brain quickly registered that they belonged to a rather large raccoon.

Now, after years of watching Disney cartoons and other favorable versions of tiny animals, I have a tendency to think, "oh, how cute!" when first coming face to face with say, a mouse or squirrel. However, at this moment, my brain screamed "danger," causing me to quickly drop the can's lid back down and rush into the house.

I tried not to panic, remembering the Englishman was miles away in NYC and unable to come to the rescue.  As luck would have it, there happened to be a couple of workmen in the house that day.  I quickly related what I had discovered.  Without hesitation, one of the men rushed outside. Picking up a large stick, he used it to open the can's lid and coax the trapped raccoon out - as much to the raccoons relief as ours!

Thereafter, I made sure to place a large rock on top of each and every garbage can right up until the day we moved out. Thankfully, I have not been confronted by a furry masked bandit since. 


No comments:

Post a Comment