Monday, August 17, 2015

A Monday Memory....

Now you tell me....

Was that the sound of thunder, coinciding with a recent announcement about butter. If so, I suspect it was my Dad's response to the news, from his Heavenly vantage point.

You see, when I was six years old, my Dad was diagnosed with having heart disease.  The doctor instructed both my parents that they should immediately make changes to his diet, stressing that they should ban butter from the house and use only margarine.  Mazola margarine to be precise, as well as Mazola corn oil for cooking.

A sacrifice to be sure, because my Dad in particular, was not a fan of the now required margarine. But wanting to improve his health, they complied.

Growing up, the only time I enjoyed the sweet taste of butter was on rare trips to a restaurant or at a friend's house.  One of numerous perks to my getting married was that real butter was the staple to be found in the fridge. 

And now they have the nerve to say not only that margarine is not better for your heart, but that in fact it could be harmful?  After all those years of toast, potatoes, and even cakes, devoid of the sweet, creamy taste of real butter. Ugh...

Makes me wonder what else the "experts" have been wrong about.



No comments:

Post a Comment