Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Wednesday's Wisdom....

I've learned that you shouldn't "pigeon hole" or label people, 
or make generalizations about them concerning their beliefs.  
I don't think it is accurate or fair.
I've learned that it is important to use words and labels properly.

For instance, there seem to be many statements being bandied about concerning immigration in this country.  Some Church leaders and politicians state that if you are not for illegal immigrants, you're against all immigration.  Based on my own personal experience on this issue, I can state the following:

There is a definite distinction....
between being in favor of "immigration" and not being in favor of "ILLEGAL immigration."

I am very much in favor of immigration.
All four of my grandparents were immigrants.  
They came to the United States from Europe - legally - one from Ireland, one from England and two from Lithuania.  
I even married an immigrant! - from England.
A legal immigrant.

My husband came to this country on a company sponsored work visa. 
After we met and married, I then became his "sponsor" for his Green Card.
And no - in answer to the question posed to me during our interview at the Immigration Office -
I did not "make a habit of marrying people so they could get a Green Card."
I actually married for love, not to give my husband legal status.
(For those who aren't familiar with the term: a Green Card is an immigration process of becoming a permanent resident. The green card serves as proof that its holder, a lawful permanent resident (LPR), has been officially granted immigration benefits, which include permission to reside and take employment in the United States.) 
It also means you automatically become a "tax resident" and pay taxes on your entire income.

There are many "solutions" being offered on how to deal with the illegal immigrant population, again by both Church leaders and politicians.
I don't pretend to know what the perfect solution is.

But, based on personal experience, I submit that if the government decides to issue any type of "blanket amnesty" for illegal immigrants, 
then in all fairness, 
they should issue a "blanket refund" to all those who entered this country legally.

A full monetary refund to the millions of applicants who followed the law, played by the rules 
and legally became citizens of the United States. 
Who have paid thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars in Federal and State income taxes while working their way through the immigration process; thousand of dollars in legal fees; 
who took time off from work for interviews and paperwork; 
who studied for and passed the US Citizenship test.

I don't think that "illegal" activity should be either ignored or rewarded.

And I still firmly believe in fairness - 
though I see less and less of it these days.






No comments:

Post a Comment