Monday, September 7, 2015

A Monday Memory....

Happy New (School) Year!!

The weather report caught my attention earlier and sent me back to Labor Day, 1977.  The forecast that year for the following day was also a projected 90 degrees!  Since I would be embarking on a new adventure - as a first year First Grade teacher -  I quickly realized I would need an outfit that would help me keep my cool, so to speak.  So after dinner, I headed up to the Nanuet Mall and the Bamberger's store.

I found the perfect dress - a black and white flower pattern, cap sleeve, with
the added bonus of two pockets!! 
(Pockets were, and still are, a must have for me - as a teacher, Mom and Grandmom.)

That dress felt like a sort of "good luck charm."  It started a tradition of sorts for me and I wore it again the following September, on the first day.  Years later, when I returned to the classroom as a Third Grade teacher, I made a point of seeking out "first day" outfits that were also black and white, as well as light enough to survive that invariably hot first day.

I've also been thinking how even now the day after Labor Day always feels like the start of the New Year for me, rather than January 1st.  
Guess it's from all those years as a student, teacher, and Mom to my three girls.

 Our precious little grands will be starting their New Year this week.
First Grader M begins tomorrow 
and C will have her first day ever in school, in the Pre-K Four class, on Thursday.

Heartfelt wishes for all 
who are headed off to a classroom in the morning, 
whether as students or teachers, 
that this New Year is one filled with the absolute joy of learning 
and a secure feeling of belonging.

No comments:

Post a Comment