Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Wednesday's Wisdom....

“When I was 16 years old, I tried to kill myself because I felt weird and I felt different and I felt like I did not belong," he told the audience. "And now I am standing here.
"I would like for this moment to be for that kid out there who feels like she's weird or she's different or she doesn't fit in anywhere. Yes, you do."
"Stay weird, stay different," he added.
"When it's your turn and you are standing on this stage, please pass the same message to the next person that comes along."

Graham Moore delivered a brave acceptance speech at the 87th annual Academy Awards, calling attention to suicide by confessing that he had once tried to take his life.
"The Imitation Game" screenwriter, who won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay, used his time onstage to reveal the struggles he faced during his teen years.

He passed on two most important messages: the first, that being "weird" or "different" doesn't mean you don't fit in - you do.  And the other: to pass on that message to those that come after you.

As a new school year begins, God bless those parents, teachers and all who work with children, who do whatever they can to make sure that each and every child feels like they do belong.

We all belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment