Monday, July 24, 2017

Monday Morning Musings....

"We're back," states Charlie Brown as he and Linus enter the auditorium with their tiny Christmas tree on "A Charlie Brown Christmas" special.  And so am I. Back to my blog.

The absence was not intentional.  Life has been a bit busier of late and I simply put my daily blogging aside. Having realized it has been some time since my last post, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to change things up a bit.  Nothing dramatic, just subtle changes.  Did you notice?


I've been spending as much time as I can in our garden, literally digging in the dirt planting, transplanting, and weeding. I've been following a well known gardener in England, Monty Don, on twitter in addition to watching him on the popular "Gardeners' World" program on the BBC. He has had some wonderful suggestions which I've incorporated. He recently shared that he has often battled depression and that being in the garden has been incredibly helpful to him.Upon reading that, I made a conscious decision to go outdoors as often as possible and find that time spent in our yard brings me relief from the edge of the dark cloud of depression as it tries to creep in. 

He also encourages viewers not to despair when certain plants fail, but to simply take them out and replace them. Trial and error.  If Monty, an experienced gardener, has failures in his garden, surely I shouldn't feel totally inept when say, my sunflowers fail to thrive.  Which is what happened in the rail planter, in the photo above. So yesterday I replaced the spindly, curling sunflower stems with these beautiful petunias. 

Another favorite British gardener I follow is Alan Titchmarsh. He has pointed out that it takes at least five years for a garden with new plantings to settle in. Ah, I thought, that explains why suddenly most of the bushes, trees and perennials seem to have finally started to fully come to life. We are at year four for most of the plantings. I must say, it's been well worth the wait!

Having a "cottage garden" has been a dream of mine since I first married.  I knew in my heart that while raising my daughters, running a home, a rental property and then returning to the classroom, I simply could not pursue that dream. Thankfully, I now have the time and space to do so. There is much to learn, but I am enjoying every part of the process as well as the results.  

Feeling truly blessed today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment