Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Tip for a Tuesday....

Save it....
Last week I picked up some more treasured items from my mother's house.  Among the parcels set aside in the garage was a large manila envelope.  Inside it, my sister had placed several cards, letters and drawings my three daughters and I had given to my mother over the years.

What a gift these aging papers bring!  As the reality of her passing continues to settle in with each of us, my daughters and I find great comfort and joy in sorting through what were clearly treasured items for my mother.  

For me, the most precious item was a letter I had written to my mother, which was delivered to her while she was attending a Church retreat called "Cornerstone" in 1993. In the letter, I thanked her for a recent "Guardian Angel" pin she had given me. I then described in great detail how she had always been my Guardian Angel - from seeing me through bouts of croup as a youngster, comforting me during the angst of the teenage years, and now sharing the joys I found being a mother myself.

If I ever look back and wonder, "Did she know...." - I need only open up that card to reassure myself that I did in fact tell her how very much she meant to me.


My tip? Whether you are a mother, daughter, treasured aunt or dear friend, save those cards and notes you've received from those you love.  Stick them in a box or drawer, to reread and savour.
In doing so, many years from now, you too will give a very special gift to those loved ones you leave behind.

You will reassure them that they took the time to tell you how very much you meant to them.


*New to my blog?  Please sign up for email delivery of my blog, using the box on the right hand side:
Follow by Email:
You will be notified by email each time I post a new writing.
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment