Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Wednesday's Wisdom....

Change is good.....
but dollars are better!

This was a popular chant in our house when the girls were growing up.  
One of them in particular was averse to ANY change, of any kind.

To be perfectly honest, I understood her feelings completely.
For most of my life, I too feared change.
Things like, if given a choice when going out to eat, I would choose to go to the same restaurant and would order the same appetizer, entree and dessert.  Every single time.
I would wear my hair in a certain style, day after day after day. 
I was shocked when my mother changed some of the furniture in  the bedroom I shared with my sister growing up.  It took me years to get used to that!

And on and on and on......

I wanted everything to stay the same!

For me, there seemed to be a feeling of security in keeping things the same.
What is that expression, something about the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know?
"What if I don't like it?" "What if I don't know what to do in new situation?" "What if...."

But over time, when changes became inevitable, 
I gradually began to see that change could in fact not only be good, but great! 
There were new restaurants to discover, new foods to try, new hair colors to try, new destinations to explore and wonderful new people to meet.

The more changes I tried - the easier it became - and the more I liked it.
When the fear of change creeps back, I need only look behind me and see from recent experiences that all has been well.  And often even better than I would have hoped for.

The truth is, there are many changes in life over which I have absolutely no control or say in.
So I've learned to "go with the flow" and simply


as the British so wisely advise!

No comments:

Post a Comment