Monday, November 17, 2014

A Monday Memory....

Comfort Food
Ever have that experience, when you bite into an old familiar food item, and it's as if you've been transported back in time to your childhood?

While munching on Ritz Crackers, which accompanied my soup today, I found myself back in the 1960's. A "sick day" home from school found me tucked up in bed, two pillows stacked behind my head and shoulders.  Watching Father Knows Best on the portable black and white television my mother would have wheeled in on its cart from the kitchen.
Lunchtime would arrive and my mother would carry in that familiar silver tray 
 settle it carefully on my lap, then kiss my forehead.
Before me, as always, was a steaming bowl of Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup, 
with a stack of Ritz Crackers beside it.  There was a lot of love on that tray too!
When my own little girls would be home sick, it was dry Cheerios and stirred up ginger ale (to remove the bubbles), followed later by Lipton Noodle Soup - hold the chicken, Mom!

Growing up, I had felt that the routine of being served the same comforting foods each time I fell ill helped the healing process for me.  Now, whether or not that was actually true really doesn't matter. What mattered was that I believed it.  I hope my girls did too.

No comments:

Post a Comment