Monday, November 24, 2014

A Monday Memory....

Slow news day?

For the past two days I have received emails and Facebook notices that at there is a "Winter Storm Watch" for Wednesday and Thursday of this week, which could impact Thanksgiving Day travel.

What? First of all - it's not officially "Winter"  
Secondly, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..." You know the rest.

I've decided I'm not going to play this game - this, "Will it snow, won't it snow" game.
Been there, done that.

Way back in the early '70's, when my sister and I were in high school, the weatherman made similar dire predictions one Sunday afternoon.  According to him, there was going to be a HUGE snowstorm, dumping at least six inches, reeking havoc and closing schools.   We jumped for joy (literally) and ceased any efforts on getting our homework done.  Why continue - hadn't the trusty weatherman offered us a one day reprieve?  Staying up past our regular bedtime, we finally drifted off to sleep, confident that the morning would offer a leisurely rising, thanks to the snowstorm.

Imagine our surprise - and horror - when my Dad shouted for us to get up and get ready for school.  "Away to my window, I flew in a flash..." as the story goes.  Pushing the curtains aside I gazed out and saw.....nothing.  

No drifts of snow.  No tree branches bending under the weight of the packed white mass.  
Not one single flake had fallen.

In addition to finding I did not in fact have a day off, was the realization that there was still the matter of my unfinished homework.  I quickly thanked God for the 45 minute morning bus ride I had, which would give me the chance to get most of it done.

So no, I'm not getting myself all twisted up about the possibility of falling snow this week.   Weather reports are as frequently wrong today as they were back then.  For instance, this morning, the rain was merely misty, not pouring down and the wind was minimal, not the 50 mph gusts they predicted.  

Bottom line? There is absolutely nothing I can do about the weather.  
If there were, the sun would shine all this week.  (Fingers crossed!)

No comments:

Post a Comment