Monday, August 13, 2018

A Monday Memory....

I was recently perusing my Pinterest Boards and came across these on my "I remember this" board. 



Sun-in was a product that came out, I think, in the early '70's. We used to spray it on our hair and then go lay on the beach for the day. Since my hair was a dark brown, the effect was hardly like the highlights shown on the box. Ah, but that didn't deter me, did it? I usually ended up with a bit of red tinge to my hair.


My friends and I then graduated to using jolen face bleach. Yup, would pull two strips on either side of our center parted hair, anywhere from a quarter to full inch, and apply a thick coating of bleach. Oh yes - it did turn our hair white. It also made it very brittle. But we looked so cute, right? So worth all the time, money and bother.

Over the years since then I've dyed my hair at home, had daughter #3 do highlights from a kit, and had it professionally done in the salon. A year ago I finally threw in the towel. My "halo" as I came to call the white streak down the center of my hair,  would show up after only three weeks from my previous hair appointment. Enough!!  Now my hair is naturally highlighted - but with grey and white streaks on top of a shrinking base of dark brown. 

And actually, as a woman whose glorious mane is all grey shared with me last year, it really is freeing not to color it anymore. And cheaper. Waaaaay cheaper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment