Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!



Happy Mother's Day to my mother - who raised my brother, sister and I, pictured one Easter many, many years ago.  My mother made the grey coat I am wearing.  She was quite talented with the sewing machine.  

My mother taught me what to do and what not to do in raising children.  Most importantly, she taught me that no matter what happens in life, put one foot in front of the other and keep moving forward.

And in the "circle of life" as they say, my sister and I are now "mothering" our mother.  It is both rewarding and bittersweet.



Then came the next generation.  Here I am with my three girls, my mother and my sister, at daughter#1's First Communion.  My life changed completely the day I gave birth to daughter #1.  It almost felt like a spiritual experience. The emotions it brought forth were so strong and have never subsided.  There is a pull, from my heart, to always love and be there for my girls.  And it also awakened a keener sense of love and caring for others.  


Daughter #2 has begun the Third generation, with her two daughters.  Can't you just see the love, joy and special bond they share?


How beautiful it is to watch the generations of mothering in my family - the traditions my mother passed on to me, and I to my girls, and now my daughter to my granddaughters.  Whether it is the lullabies we sing, the stories we tell, the way we celebrate holidays or care for our little ones when they are sick, all those somewhat insignificant gestures of love are being carried on.  They do matter.  They do make a difference in our everyday lives.  And they are remembered for the love they made us feel.


M is going to be a wonderful mother some day.  You can see it in her eyes....

2 comments: