Monday, May 7, 2012

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary, How Does Your Garden Grow?


Grandmom's Garden
Little Miss M arrived for her usual Sunday visit with Grandmom and Grandad yesterday.  First request?  To go outside in the back garden.  "I need to help water Grandmom's flowers" she called out.

So out we went.  M quickly spied the watering can and set off in search of the nearest flowers.  There was very little water in the can and she urged me to fill it again.  While watching me maneuver the hose, she decided "I can do it, Grandmom" and implored me to let her try.  I spent a few minutes showing her how to do it, then let her have a go.  

M proved to be quite capable with the hose and faucet.  If she had difficulty, she did not hesitate to say, "Grandmom, you do it!", as the water gushed out.  The two of us tapped our feet in a small puddle that formed when the can tipped over.  I thought to myself - I love this Grandmom stuff!  I don't have to worry about spills and rushing to get other things done.  I could be totally in the moment with M.

The teacher in me named each of the flowers and bushes as we went round the flower beds.  I also encouraged M to smell the flowers, rub the leaves and then smell the scent left behind on her hands.  There were a few "yucks" in there - she is obviously not a fan of rosemary.

We had the added bonus of watching the birds at the feeder.  M couldn't quite understand why they would fly off if she got close, or why she couldn't hold them.  We also saw some beautiful butterflies.  Those lovely creatures were much more cooperative and we saw several up close when we stood stock still and remained silent.

If you are a young mother or grandmother, aunt or friend of young ones, I highly recommend a small garden.  Or at the very least, a couple of planters filled with flowers.  Sharing nature is a wonderful experience for all of us!

(Thank you to the Englishman for the wonderful photographs documenting our lovely day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment