Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"In the blink of an eye"

Miss M and I were watching a cartoon show the other day.  It's called "Cailou".  I find it both soothing as well as educational.  As we were watching, they were discussing a tree and showing how it would grow over time and develop. Only this tree grew dramatically to full maturity. Within seconds.  Literally.

It got me thinking.  Not only for my granddaughters, but for the rest of us as well, everything seems to have shifted into high gear lately.  Or at least the television and movies we watch appear to make it so. Time lapse photography can cause one to think that erecting a forty story building can happen overnight.

Maybe all this high speed camera work and visual effects are causing me to actually believe that life can move quicker than it does.  Maybe that is what is slowly sapping my reservoir of patience.  Some days I gaze out my kitchen window and wonder why the flowers haven't grown ten inches overnight.  Really.  I start to think maybe they just aren't trying hard enough.  Then I have to remind myself that I'm looking through a window on real life, not at a television screen.

I also wonder what Miss M thinks.  She watches another show with her Mom in which the characters travel in a special spaceship.  They have a red button they push when they need to go faster.  The other day, while I was riding in the car with her, the traffic started to slow us down and M implored her mother to push the red button so we could go super fast. "Sorry", her mother replied, "that's only on the tv".

So I'm adding to my list of grandmotherly things I want to do with the girls as they grow. Teaching them to actually "stop and smell the roses" has just been added.  Reminding myself to do the same seems a good idea too!




No comments:

Post a Comment