Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Wednesday's wisdom....


A Picture Perfect Holiday

This may be the image that most of us conjure up in our minds when we think about Thanksgiving - the scene depicted by the artist Norman Rockwell

Our family gathering tomorrow on Thanksgiving will be quite small if what they say is true, that most family gatherings will consist of at least twenty-five people or more. Seated around our table will be the Englishman, our three daughters, two granddaughters and one son-in-law.  Our other son-in-law, unfortunately, will be at work.

Growing up, our family table was even smaller.  It was just my parents, brother, sister and me. I never knew any of my grandparents - they had all passed away before I was born.  Aunts, Uncles and cousins did not attend.  The truth is, until I was older and heard otherwise, I just assumed everyone spent Thanksgiving, and any other holidays, at their own homes with just their immediate family.  I didn't feel as though I was missing out - it was simply what I knew.

The holidays were no less special because it was just us.  We dressed up, my mother made a special, traditional dinner.  Thanksgiving, I always looked forward to watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade then viewing The March of the Wooden Soldiers on WPIX.  I  also loved the scent of apple pie and sausage stuffing floating from the kitchen.

I spent Thanksgiving seated in my mother's dining room for nearly my entire life.  The numbers grew as each of us married and had children.  Then they fell again, as happens when members begin new traditions.  The Englishman finally got to host it in our own home only a few years ago, following my mother's battle with some serious health issues. 

Life experiences, talking with others, and being a good observer have taught me that there are no "perfect" families or holidays. There's just my family.  No matter where we are, no matter how many or few are seated around the table, we will have a wonderful time.  No matter what the "picture" might look like.


No comments:

Post a Comment