Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Wednesday's wisdom....


Maybe, just maybe, you're never too old for ......


Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer was on television last night.  
A quick text message was dispatched to alert my three daughters.  Not sure if they watched, but I felt it was important information to pass along.  

The Englishman paused the Arthur's Christmas movie we were watching (British spin on Santa), so I could catch the very beginning of Rudolph, because he knows how much I love it.  After watching the first ten minutes, I was content to go back to Arthur.

I must confess that, later, while the Englishman took the dogs out for the last time before bed, I turned on the TV in the kitchen on so I could see the ending.

Yes, I am quite conscious of the fact that I am in fact a grandmother and not ten years old, as I was when the show debuted.  The truth is, I've always loved and never tire of watching this show, as well as A Charlie Brown Christmas.

It has recently occurred to me that a large part of the attraction for watching this show is my attempt to try and recapture some of the feelings of wonder and excitement I still had at that age of ten.  When I shared my insight with the Englishman last night at dinner, his response was, "You've only just figured that out now?"

Yes, dear.

As luck would have it, I came upon and purchased a small set of the toy characters from the show several years ago. Granddaughter M is absolutely fascinated with them.  She loves to get the characters out from the large tin in which I store them, assemble them in front of her and pronounce, "Now, Grandmom,  You be Clarice and I'll be Rudolph." Daughter #1 was here this past Sunday while M and I were playing, and proudly told her niece, "You know, Grandmom knows all the words to the show."

It's true. I do. 

I can't remember the zip code for our retirement house, but I do know all the dialog to this cartoon.

And I'm ok with that.
It makes me happy.
These days, I think it's good for any of us to find happiness anywhere we can.




No comments:

Post a Comment