Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wednesday's wisdom....

Staying balanced....

Loud rumblings a couple of weeks ago sent me flying down the stairs to the laundry area.  It seems that despite my best efforts, the weight of water soaked laundry had shifted in the washing machine and had thrown the drum off balance.  Hence the banging and clanging.  After much pulling, twisting and several retries, I finally put it right and the process resumed.


This mini ordeal got me to thinking about keeping my own balance and what happens when I don't. I've learned the hard way that I pay a big price when I allow myself to get overtired, hungry, excessively worried, or ready to throttle someone.

Just the other day, I lost track of time and forgot to eat.  As the morning wore on, I could feel my head going a bit funny.  By the time I realized the problem and ate some protein, I was already feeling badly.  It took several hours, during which I tried to keep others safely at bay, before I felt myself again.

So what do I generally do to stay on an even keel?  I eat protein at every meal, watch my intake of caffeine and sugar, go to bed early every night, wake up at roughly the same time every morning. I pray.  A lot.  I stay away from violent movies, TV, and books (except for Vince Flynn).  For peace of mind, I read novels, flip through magazines like Victoria and Good Housekeeping.  The Englishman and I watch the British program Escape to the Country, as well as comedy shows and period dramas.  I hug my grandkids as often as I can, stay connected with my girls and email with friends often. Having a wonderful, supportive husband is truly a blessing, which also keeps me balanced.

Trial, and disastrous error, have taught me to stay away from English toffee, and in addition, spearmint leaves and certain brands of chocolate.  Seriously.  Ask my kids.  They'll tell you.

The payoff for staying balanced?  A happier, more serene life.  
Not only for me, but for everyone around me too.



No comments:

Post a Comment