Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wednesday's wisdom....

"I'm bored....."

A friend posted on Facebook earlier in the week that her kids were home on break from school, and  had already run out of toys to play with and television to watch.  
And it was only Monday morning.

I commented that my mother used to have a cure for that.

The  moment my siblings and I suggested there was nothing to do - depending on the time of year and weather - she would thrust either a dust rag or rake into our hands.
Suddenly there were beds to be weeded or large pieces of furniture to be polished.
You could instantly find yourself outside in the hot, sweltering sun wondering how on earth you had gotten there.
We learned very quickly to never utter the word "bored" again.

This morning I found myself with about an hour's worth of time before I was heading out for lunch with a friend.  Being nicely dressed, I didn't want to engage in any sort of messy project.  Still, there was a feeling of restlessness and wasting time.

So I took my mother's "advice".
I went into my bedroom and cleared out a cabinet.  Not a major undertaking, by any means.  However it did give me a feeling of having accomplished a little something for the morning.
Which made the effort worthwhile.

Old habits die hard I suppose.
  One of these days, I'll learn to just sit down and read a book.


No comments:

Post a Comment