Tuesday, June 18, 2013

An incredible milestone....


Today my mother turned 90!

I think that is just amazing!

Before her 65th birthday, my brother called and said he thought that might be her last "big" birthday, so we should really go all out.  
Without hesitation, I disagreed.

I believed she had many more years ahead of her, but even I didn't think 90 was in her future.
She gave us quite a scare four years ago when multiple serious medical conditions were diagnosed and needed immediate attention.  Yet she survived them and is still going strong.
Now I think she could outlive me!

My sister and her family moved in with her nearly two years ago, at which time I handed over all care taking responsibilities for her, and so we don't see each other as often as we had when I was looking after her myself.
We talk on the phone every single day, as we have done since I got married, with the exception of only a handful of times when I was out of the country. So the truth is, most days, she doesn't sound like a ninety year old woman to me.
She just sounds like "Mom"

For me, that is a most wonderful gift -
which I cherish now and will remember always.

Happy Birthday, Mom!



No comments:

Post a Comment