Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wednesday's wisdom....

Spoilt for choice.....

Like many people, my level of stress seems to fluctuate greatly these days. In giving some thought as to why this might be, I've come to the conclusion that among the many possibilities for this is the vast number of choices one has available in our modern society.

Now when I was a kid (cue the moaning....) there were far fewer choices of individual items available in the stores.  Take sneakers.  You either bought Keds or P.F. Flyers.  Color choice? Red or white. The number of different sneakers available today is staggering.  Same thing with jeans. Levis or Lee's.   Color? Denim.  Simple, quick, one or the other.

These days even a trip to the supermarket can throw me into a real tailspin!  Dozens of choices for juice, coffee, teas, chocolates, and on and on and on.  Need white flour?  Simple, right?  Nope. There too, there are multiple brands to choose from.  

While I think it's wonderful that on the one hand the world is full of so many things to choose from, the sheer number of items can be overwhelming.  Solution?  I've decided to consciously limit the number of things I purchase, the number of stores I will visit, and the number of websites I will peruse. Simplify. Limit the choices. That's the answer for me.

As to the food shopping?  For the most part, that is the Englishman's domain.  He handles the bulk of our purchases, thankfully. I have to confess that as we slowly drove past a very busy Shop Rite the other day, allowing for countless shoppers to push their full carts across the road,  I pointed out the obvious:  if he were to drop me off for a shopping excursion, he would probably need to bring bail money with him when he picked me up.   

The Englishman smiled.  But he didn't disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment