Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Wednesday's wisdom....

         Those elusive z's....
For the most part, I find I crawl into bed early each night and have no difficulty in getting off to sleep.  However, it's the waking up during the night which often causes me trouble -
for my mind immediately switches "on" and I resort to a lifelong habit of worrying.

Yes, I'm a worrier.  I come by it naturally, having descended from a very long line of worriers.
Like many who suffer, I have this foolish notion that if I worry about things I will somehow be able to control them or keep bad things from happening.

I've come to realize that this course of action, at least during the nighttime hours, is completely futile and serves only to rob me of sleep.  Stop it I must.

My solution?
A quick conversation with myself.

"Ahem, where are you?"

"In bed."

"Is there anything you can do about it at the moment?"

"Well, no, I'm in bed."

"Then stop thinking about it.  If you get the sleep you need, you might actually be in better shape to deal with ________________ during the daylight hours."

That little back and forth in my head is quickly followed by a series of Hail Mary's and before you know it, I'm off to sleep once again.

Quicker than a trip downstairs for a glass of milk or the temptation to watch TV or read.
With the added bonus, I disturb neither the Englishman nor the Basset Boys who share our sleeping quarters.

Does it work every time?  Well, no.
But repeated efforts over the last several months have resulted in more sleep and less tossing.
So I will continue the practice.

Who knows - maybe I'll even try having a go at stopping the daytime worrying too!

No comments:

Post a Comment