Wednesday, November 30, 2011

An unexpected pleasure....

On Monday morning, while diligently working in my office, the Englishman popped in and asked if I would like to go to lunch. My "to do" list that day was miles long, but I didn't hesitate to say yes. Because I have finally learned that spending time with my loved ones is the better choice. That if I don't wash the floor today or rake the leaves, those those things will eventually get done. And if they don't, that's ok too.

When I enquired where we were lunching, the Englishman got a huge grin on his face and said he had found a new Indian restaurant nearby. The Englishman loves a hot curry with the same fervor I feel for chocolate.

When we first entered The Brick Lane Curry House, we were feeling a little skeptical. There was an overwhelming smell of ammonia, as they were still mopping the floor. We quickly noted we were the only patrons. The Englishman suggested we go somewhere else but I was hopeful that it would all turn out well. Actually, it far exceeded our expectations!

When I was growing up, the only curry I had was when my mother made curried shrimp. Which was a simple white sauce with added curry powder. The Englishman has vastly broadened my culinary experiences since we met. I have become more adventurous, but do draw the line when it comes to hot sauces that cause me to gasp for air or have tears running down my face.

So I ordered the mild chicken tika masala, while he had a vindaloo sauce. Our meal was fabulous! We had the lunchtime special which included our main dish, rice, naan bread, two side dishes and dessert. All for ten dollars each! The service was also excellent. The waiter said they have only been opened for two weeks, but hope that word will spread. I assured him I would do my part. Later research found they are a chain, also located in several spots in Manhattan and Montclair, as well as the new location we went to in Ridgewood.

Now I know this post is getting longer, but I cannot fail to mention the rest of our outing. The Englishman and I strolled hand and hand down the main street of the town. We popped in a toy shop and made a purchase for Baby C's Christmas gift. And then ,we saw it. The cupcake shop I've been longing to patronise since sampling a bite of heaven at daughter #2's house. As I went to open the door, the Englishman said, "Oh shame. They're closed on Monday's". Fortunately I immediately detected that "That English sense of humor" and walked right in. The vision of cupcakes before me was overwhelming! But I zeroed right in on the chocolate mousse ones. After selecting additional cupcakes for family and paying for my purchases, I pointed out to the Englishman which cake would be appropriate for my birthday. Which doesn't roll around for several months. But I want him to be prepared with the proper information. I know he would hate to disappoint me!

Oh, right. I believe it's called The Cupcake Carousel. I just know it's the one next to the movie theatre. About a fifteen minute drive. Maybe ten, without traffic and exceeding the speed limit. Depends how desperate I am.

1 comment: