Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thursday's Thought for the Day....


“For most of life, nothing wonderful happens. If you don’t enjoy getting up and working and finishing your work and sitting down to a meal with family or friends, then the chances are that you’re not going to be very happy. If someone bases his happiness or unhappiness on major events like a great new job, huge amounts of money, a flawlessly happy marriage or a trip to Paris, that person isn’t going to be happy much of the time. If, on the other hand, happiness depends on a good breakfast, flowers in the yard, a drink or a nap, then we are more likely to live with quite a bit of happiness.” 
                                                                                           ― Andy Rooney

How true.  I find it is the little things in life which give me the most happiness.  Hugging my granddaughters, giggles with the Englishman, snuggling with the dogs, watching the feeding frenzy at the bird feeders in the yard - those moments are the treasured ones.

I was watching one of the many house redecorating programs last week.  There was a young newlywed who was looking to have her kitchen redone.  She said that once she had granite countertops and stainless steel appliances, she would feel she could finally live happily ever after.  Wow.  She clearly doesn't get it.  How very sad that she would actually believe she couldn't be happy until she had certain "things".  Even sadder, I fear, is that she is not alone in her thinking.

May today be one in which you delight both in the little things and the people in your life with which you share them.




1 comment:

  1. I just won't be happy until I get granite countertops in my workshop but I guess you are saying I'll just have to get over it.

    ReplyDelete