Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tip for a Tuesday....

DO IT...NOW!

Been meaning to write a letter or an email?  Thinking about phoning a friend to say "hi" and catch up on what's been happening? Have you thought, "Did I remember to say 'thank you'?" to your spouse or child?

DO IT.  Only do it NOW!

A very sweet woman I have known for several years passed away over the weekend.  It had been a few months since we had spoken on the phone, after her move into an assisted living facility.  I had tried her a few times after that conversation, but when she didn't pick up, I left a message.  The thought crossed my mind several times during the following weeks that I really must give her another call.  But my memory is such these days that thoughts seem to flow out as quickly as they flow in.  Unless I write it down or do it immediately, it's gone.  I wish now I had simply called at the moment I thought of it.

Tragedies, such as the horror in Aurora, remind me how important it is to say those "I love you" or "thank you" because you never know when that opportunity will be lost to you.  Daughter #2 learned that lesson when her then fiance was deployed to Iraq.  From the moment he left, and ever since, she has always ended her conversations and text messages with all of us saying "love you." 

It is now an ingrained habit we all share among us.  Even the little ones. Yesterday, as I pulled away from her house after a quick visit with daughter #2 and the granddaughters, Little Miss shouted to me "Love you, Grandmom!"

(She also said, "Tell Grandad to take good care of you!"
Actually, I don't have to tell him.  He's been doing that for thirty four years now.)

So my tip?  Never miss an opportunity to tell someone: I love you, thank you, I'm so  proud of you,
 I think about you all the time, I'm here to listen if you need to talk, thanks for being there....

No comments:

Post a Comment