Monday, October 21, 2013

A Monday memory....

Five little pumpkins....
While discussing Halloween with my granddaughters last week during a visit, I suddenly started to sing a rhyme I had been taught, probably fifty(!) years ago.  
You should have seen the look of surprise on M's face!  
"Grandmom, you know that song?"
"Oh yes," I replied.  "I learned that song when I was in the same school you go to now."
M isn't always in favor of me singing, but she made an exception in this case, and together we sang the entire song. 
(I admit, I may have missed a word or two.  It has been a long time...)

Some things do stand the test of time, I'm happy to say.
Nursery rhymes and holiday songs are among the nicest, I think.

For those of you who are not familiar with it, here are the lyrics:
Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate.
The first one said, "oh my it's getting late."
The second one said, "there are witches in the air."
The third one said, "but we don't care!"
The fourth one said, "let's run and run and run."
The fifth one said, "I'm ready for some fun!"
OOOhh OOOhh went the wind
And out went the lights
And the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight


1 comment: