Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Wednesday's wisdom.....

It's all in the preparation....


It was the custom in my house growing up that we laid our clothes out before going to bed in readiness for the morning.  Since we attended Catholic School, that meant making sure all the parts of our uniforms were assembled and ready. Including our ties.

As I grew up, I could see the wisdom of that practice.  On those nights when I was too tired or forgot, the morning found me scrambling in an effort to dress and make it to the bus stop on time. 

I don't know about anyone else, but it always seemed that whenever I started my morning by having to"hit the ground running,"
my entire day ended up being one stressful moment after another!

Escaping the house rituals at college, I made a few feeble attempts at "winging it" upon awakening. But between wanting to look my best and needing to get to class on time, I soon reverted back to prepping the night before.

Career time?  Again, any time I deviated from my nighttime ritual, I paid a price. Commuting is taxing at best when you allow enough time - spend an extra ten minutes hunting down stockings or an ironed skirt and you can be in for a journey extended by an hour!

Motherhood.
Preparation meant the difference between coping nicely or merely surviving.

I learned very quickly that spending the first third of my day in a nightgown and robe was not conducive to either good parenting or any feelings of self-esteem.
By the time daughter #1 was three months old, I figured out that I needed to get up at least a half hour before her, shower and dress in something brightly colored and comfortable,
  wash and style my hair, and apply makeup.
Then I could tackle my day.

These days, with "sixty" taunting me over the horizon, 
I still lay my clothes out each evening before bed.
Some practices just make sense, no matter my age or stage of life.



No comments:

Post a Comment