Monday, October 28, 2013

A Monday memory....


Halloween - 1975, 1976


Notice a theme?  Why yes, I do love Raggedy Ann!  First I was "Andy" - due to the fact that my then college roommate was far more petite than I. (My mother had made the red and white "smock top" which was quite the fashion necessity in the late '70's.)

I became "Ann" the following Halloween, simply due to the fact I had most of the costume - the hat, blouse, cummerbund, apron and skirt were the uniform I wore for my position as a Hostess at The Proud Popover Restaurant, Faneuil Hall, Boston.  My dear friend D, who I shared the apartment with, was kind enough to dress as "Andy" in her jean overalls.  (Also considered de rigueur in those days.)

Since then, my "costume" for Halloween usually consists of an orange sweatshirt with appropriate decoration or a sequined vest which sports pumpkins and scarecrows.  Oh, and Halloween socks!

While those items are not exactly a full on costume, I always made a point of wearing some sort of holiday clothes when my girls were growing up or I was teaching.  I think it made the day a little more fun for me as well as them.

And now with the wee ones, I will carry on the tradition.  Thanks to today's technology, we will be admiring each other's costumes this Halloween via "Facetime."  Can't wait to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment