Monday, December 9, 2013

A Monday Memory.....

Uh oh!!
During a cold December day, sometime in the mid 1960's, my family and I were in search of some Christmas presents in the shops located on the Main Street of the next town.  We were quite successful in finding many of the items each of us were seeking, in the very store in front of which we had parked.   So it was with huge smiles that we exited, eager to put our purchases in the car before heading off again for a couple of more items.  

Realizing that what was gathered in our arms would not fit comfortably in the back seat, my father directed my sister and I toward the trunk of the car.  Inserting the key, he popped the trunk lid up and.....

Behold! Two shiny new sleds dazzled our eyes!
                                                                (This is a photo from eBay of a similar Sears sled) 


The shouts which followed were not of joy, however.  They emitted from deep within my mother, who was horrified at what my father had, shall we say, "let out of the bag."

Let me explain.  Each Christmas, my siblings and I were always blessed to receive the items we requested on our wish list to Santa.  My mother enjoyed adding at least one "surprise" to the pile found beneath the tree for each of us.  This particular year, she was especially proud of having secured two new sleds for my sister and I - which were to be a SURPRISE.  Poor Dad, without realizing it, had ruined that for her.  Or so she thought.

My mother's reaction and disappointment was such that my sister and I truly believed she would send the sleds back.  I can honestly say that we were actually surprised that Christmas morning to find them under the tree.

We used them for many years thereafter, sledding down the hills of snow on the local golf course. 
(Which may be one of several reasons why that course erected a chain link fence not long after.)


No comments:

Post a Comment