Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Wednesday's wisdom....

Light the candles!
This need to "save" things for special occasions or a future date is something I come by genetically.  It has been passed down to me from my mother.  The list of reasons she would give for this trait were completely understandable: having been raised in a difficult situation, as well as growing up during the Great Depression.  

For instance, if one of us gave her a new nightgown, she would admire it, then as she carefully folded it back into the box would say, "I'll save it in case I go to the hospital."  (In fairness, she did spend a lot of time in the hospital when we were kids.)  She would also apply "saving" things to other gifts or household items, using them only on special occasions.  

When I married and set up a household of my own, I often slipped into the same pattern.  I would find myself automatically saving things or using them only on holidays.  For the most part, I could see the wisdom in doing so - preserving things so they would last or feel special because they were only used a few times a year.

But I'm getting older now.  Much older. 
It makes more sense to me at this stage to use what I have and stop saving all of it.

Which is why I've been burning the candles we have.
Daily. 
In moving house, I've come across boxes and boxes of candles - pillars, tapers and votives.
Multiple sizes and scents.  I've been collecting them for years.
And now I'm burning them - using them - enjoying them.

I've also started using the cards and stationery I've been saving.  And wearing scarves and sweaters I've kept reserved for years for special occasions.  

Because as the ad used to say, "I'm worth it!"

And I also don't want my daughters to someday find these items unused 
and lament the fact that I never got to enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment