Monday, July 7, 2014

A Monday Memory....

 Tools of hair torture, from days of my youth:


Bobby pins
When I was quite young, my mother would curl my straight as an arrow hair with either bobby pins or pin clips.  She would twist and secure the hair following my shampoo, then cover my entire head with a net like scarf.  I would sleep, or try to, with my head wrapped tight as a drum.

Ah, the home perm.  The smell was horrible!
Brush rollers - held in place with either bobby pins or those painful plastic pins
Sponge rollers - softer to sleep on, but still most annoying.  
There were tiny, little "teeth" on each roller, over which the outer shell was snapped.
The hair dryer.  Why yes, the tube through which the hot air flowed did burn the skin if it touched your neck for any length of time.
First set of "electric" rollers.  When the red dot turned black, they were "ready to roll" as they say.

The curling wand.  Mine was neon green and emitted a burst of steam when the button at the top was pushed in. And yes,  one frequently burned their fingers on the hot wand.
In college, we used either enormous rollers or actual empty lemonade cans, secured with giant bobby pins.


If you too were a child of the sixties and seventies, then I 'm sure many of these hair apparatuses are familiar.

Thank goodness times have changed!

Having my hair colored is the only "torture" I currently volunteer to endure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment