Monday, July 21, 2014

A Monday Memory....

And five, six, seven, eight....

My freshman year of high school, 1968, I joined the C.Y.O. (Christian Youth Organization) at my church.  One of the things that attracted me to this group was the possibility of performing in a variety show they put on every year.  Which had dancers.  And I just love to dance!

The choreographer and chief showman for this event was a Mr. Hayes.
He sported a crew cut, had a booming voice and accepted nothing less than your absolute best.
He scared me half to death!

But he certainly knew his stuff.  He could get a bunch of high school kids, who barely knew their right from their left, dancing their little hearts out within a couple of hours.
I knew right away there was a lot to be learned from him.

A quick "audition,"during which we were asked to do a few steps, and Mr. Hayes knew immediately where to place you.  He moved at lightening speed and it was quite a task to keep up with his directions.  But you soon found yourself caught up in the excitement of "putting on a show" and wanted to do all you could to please him.

I remember one number we did to the song, "Mr. Sandman." Dressed in our father's pajama tops and holding teddy bears,  several friends and I performed in the center aisle of the audience.  It was tricky finding our way in and out of the auditorium in the dark, but we seemed to manage it quite well despite our giggling. 

My memory isn't too clear on many of the other details.  I think we did the show for three consecutive nights.  It must have been a lucrative fundraiser for the church, as we always seemed to play to a packed house.  It was an experience I treasure.

Fast forward to the late '70's and my first trip to Long Beach Island.
I learned there was a theatre in Beach Haven, a sort of "Broadway at the Beach."
And I was not surprised to learn it had been founded by none other than Mr. Hayes, way back in 1950.


I've enjoyed attending several shows at the Surflight Theater over the years.  Each time I go, I can almost feel the presence of Mr. Hayes in the theater. I imagine him standing in the front of the stage, tapping his foot, snapping his fingers and shouting out, "and five, six, seven, eight....."




Joseph P. Hayes - Founder of Surflight Theater


No comments:

Post a Comment