Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Downton Abbey



Did you see Season 1 of Downton Abbey last year?  It is a British television period drama series, produced in England for the ITV network.  The series is set during the Edwardian era on a fictional estate of Downton, Yorkshire.  Among the actors in the series are Dame Maggie Smith and American, Elizabeth McGovern.  It is reminiscent of Upstairs Downstairs, following the trials and triumphs of the upper class and the under staff who serve them.  Throw in a war, and you have some serious drama.  

The second season is set to air on PBS, starting January 8, 2012.  I have a confession to make.  Due to the fact that I am married to a very clever, tech savvy Englishman, I have already watched the first two episodes.  Never fear, I will not give anything away!  You will have to tune in and see for yourself after the New Year.  But I can say I am hooked once again, charmed by the costumes and scenery, and the intricacies of the various relationships that have evolved.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.  You can check out more information on the PBS website. (They actually have a countdown clock for when the series returns!)

No comments:

Post a Comment