Sunday, September 25, 2011

Is it the yard or the garden?

How do you keep four basset hounds occupied when you are on your own?  Take them outside as often as you can for as long as you can!  So far that has been working for us.  And as a result of being outdoors I am getting a lot of work done.  I've managed to fill six barrels for yard waste pickup in the morning.  But what do I refer to the outside as - the backyard or the garden? Since marrying my Englishman many years ago I have come to find that there are many differences in the names we each call things.  He calls it "the garden".  Now when he first said that, I thought he meant some large estate with flowering beds of plants and vast lawns, or a Secret Garden.  But no, he means any area outside the house. Growing up we simply called the outdoor space around the house either the backyard or the frontyard.

Whatever you call it, I've gotten quite a workout this week while watching, or as the English say "minding" the dogs.  Cheaper than going to the gym and much more rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment