Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A tip for Tuesday...

My mother became seriously ill two years ago and together we spent a lot of time in the hospital, then a nursing home.  It was a huge learning experience for us both, in many areas of life.  One thing I learned early on: pack a "go-bag".

What's a go-bag?  For me, it is a large canvas bag packed with items I might need in an emergency or trip to the hospital.  At the moment, it contains all necessary documents for my mother, kleenex, small amount of cash, blank notebook, pen, a crochet hook and yarn, and is ready to be scooped up any time I need it.

Actually, the crocheting turned out to be a lifesaver for me.  It was something I could work on during the long hours waiting in the ER, when my mother went for tests or if I was just sitting next to her bed.  It allowed me to busy my hands, which in turn calmed my mind.  I was able to do something while still listening to what was happening and being said around me, which reading material would not have afforded me.  I would tell my mother that I was feeling productive, so she was less anxious about taking me away from my family.  It was also a great conversation starter with the staff at each of the facilities.  I actually made two huge blankets, one for each of my nephews to take away to college.  They were made with love, sitting beside their Grandmother, so they have a special meaning for them.

So that's my tip.  Your go-bag might contain diapers and crackers, or magazines and an i-pad.  Whatever works for you, it can be a real help when a call comes and you know you are ready to go with some of the essentials that will help the experience flow more smoothly.

What would you pack?

No comments:

Post a Comment