Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ha Ha...

Upon returning from food shopping today, my Englishman came out to the car to assist me in bringing in the groceries.  He reached in the back seat for the last two packages and came out with a long loaf of French bread.  Upon examination, he noticed a large crack.  "Did you hit someone over the head with this?", he inquired.  I smiled and said, "oh, very funny!".  Were his mother alive she would call him "cheeky"!

When we were first married I found I was having a great deal of trouble getting used to my husband's humor.  The British have their own unique style - very quick and somewhat cutting.  I reminded him one day that I was in fact American, not British, and was having a hard time dealing with his jokes.  To his credit, he dispensed with the little remarks for many years and we got along quite happily.

Fast forward, and now our three little girls had become young women, and there started to be little comments coming from the Englishman once again.  Sometimes they were directed at the girls.  Like most kids, they would turn their heads and look to me for some assistance.  And so I came up with this:



Yes, I made a small sign which I kept on the windowsill in the kitchen.  Whenever the Englishman felt compelled to share his sense of humor, or as they spell it "humour", I would hold up the sign and the girls would have a good laugh.

All kidding aside, my husband has a wonderful sense of humor and excellent timing.  I just prefer to see it directed at another Englishman!

No comments:

Post a Comment