Monday, June 11, 2012

If the shoe fits.....

or, in my case, if it doesn't - the search can be frustrating.

I went to purchase MOB (mother of the bride) shoes this past Saturday morning.  Due to previous searching on the Internet, I already knew which pair I wanted, and a big sale at the store I was going to was an added incentive.

Now, my feet and I are not friends.  Haven't been since I donned my first pair of toe shoes when I was in the fifth grade.  While in high school, I also had to have surgery on the backs of the heels of my feet for excess bone.  Who knew such a thing could happen? (Must be genetic - daughter #2 had to have the same operation.)  The podiatrist who did the first surgery didn't take off enough bone on one foot the first time, so a second surgery was required.  The doctor promptly announced he wouldn't charge for the second go round, his mistake, etc.  Little comfort to me - I was the one back up on crutches again! For years, I could predict the weather better than the forecasters based on the throbbing in my heels which preceded every rainstorm.

Anyway, combine all that with high arches, and now tinges of arthritis in a couple of toes, and I dread shoe shopping. Unfortunately, before I even try on a pair, I already convince myself, based on experience, that I won't find anything. Not a good attitude.

So on Saturday I decided to go in with a positive hope that the first pair would be a perfect fit.  I asked the saleswoman about a second pair, just in case.  No good - with either shoe. I then tiptoed around the shoe area seeking anything remotely appealing for the big day.

There were an abundance of what the Englishman describes as "winkle pickers",  You know, those incredibly pointy shoes,  that look like they could do real damage if they were used to kick someone.  I wince just looking at them.  Who wears those?  Who has toes that line up in a triangle form?  Anyone?

After trying about twelve pairs of shoes I gave up.  The saleswoman cheerfully offered to keep at it till we finally found something, but my feet were starting to rebel and my patience, with my feet, had waned. I decided to try again another day.

The Englishman, bless him, offered to accompany me yet again in search of wedding attire. This time we went to a Clarks shoe store.  Again, I found a pair online.  At his suggestion, I called ahead and they set a pair aside for me.  Upon receiving said pair from the salesgirl, I quickly sat down and tried them on.  Right  foot?  Perfect!  Left foot?  Well, it does pinch a little here.......  The Englishman, who worked in a shoe shop back when he was at school in England, inquired if they could stretch that area a little for me.  I laughed as the girl took them to another employee to see if they could.  You see, the Englishman has shared a little secret with the girls and I about how they used to "stretch" the shoes in the back room where he worked. They used a broom handle!  Yes.  A broom handle.  Nothing more exotic or intricate than that.

The "stretching" the young salesman tried didn't really change the feel too much, but after trying on several other pairs, I purchased the first ones.  The Englishman has assured me he will be able to soften them up for me (we have a couple of brooms in the closet) and I will also wear them around the house a bit, perhaps with socks, to loosen them up a little. I'm sure they'll be fine in the end.

Just in case, I've decided I will pop a pair of slippers in my purse for the reception in case my feet go on strike. I absolutely love to dance and nothing is going to interfere with that! And if that doesn't work, I'm not too proud to go right down to bare feet.  Make room on the dance floor people - it's been too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment