Wednesday, June 13, 2012

It's a zoo around here....


There is an awful lot of activity in our back garden lately.  The bird feeder needs filling at least once a day, due to the large amounts and varied types of birds coming to partake of my offerings.   The exciting news, is that I saw a hummingbird yesterday morning, for the first time ever in New Jersey.  I have a hummingbird feeder which I had filled a few times about a month ago.  I kept watch closely, but nothing happened.  Till yesterday.  So I quickly refilled it again.  The little darling had been attracted to the lamb's ear bush and it's flowers.  I actually planted that bush with Little Miss in mind, wanting to teach her about the different textures found in the garden.  She loves to stoke the petals and feel their softness.  I've been told that the hummingbirds are attracted to the color red, so the nearby hanging petunias must have also been a draw.

In addition to all the numerous types of birds, we have several squirrels, who I discovered are eating all the strawberries that have spread under our fence from the neighbors yard. They quickly pull them off the stems, barely giving them time to ripen.  At least it keeps them occupied and away from the birds' food. We also have some adorable chipmunks which run along the fencing.  So far, they have been much quicker than the Bassets.

After watching numerous Disney cartoons over the years, I do find I have to remind myself that all these little creatures are in fact wild animals, and that I shouldn't try to "befriend" them.  I can just picture the Englishman's response, were I to get bitten, especially so close to the wedding.  I very much doubt he would pay any attention to the "Keep Calm and Carry On" sign at that point.  Come to think of it, neither would I.

No comments:

Post a Comment