Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thought for a Thursday....



Isn't that lovely?

I felt compelled to share this in light of the wedding of our youngest daughter on Sunday.

I have yet to see the movie, "The Vow" from which this quote is taken.  Having read this on Pinterest, I am looking forward to seeking it out for a viewing.

The vows the Englishman and I exchanged many years ago, are written on a tiny slip of paper and stashed in one of my numerous "saver" boxes.  I'm sure they don't contain phrases such as those above, but as I reread them, I know that we have certainly lived them in our life together.

My wish for E and K this weekend, is that they too will live vows such as these.  

Forgive me if I've already shared this in an earlier blog, but it is worth repeating.  When the Englishman and I were in the planning stages of our wedding, I was becoming very stressed with all the details and decisions my mother came to me with.  After sharing that with him, the Englishman replied, "It's about the being married, not the getting married."  He was so right.  It put it all in perspective.

Daughter #2 felt the same when she married, seven years ago next month.  That wedding was not only a celebration of the life she and her husband were starting together, but also of the safe return of the groom and several friends, as well as a cousin, from the war in Iraq.

E is most looking forward to being married.  
(And to finally have a vacation, after working without more than a few days off here and there the past four years.)

I've no doubt, daughter #1 will follow in her sisters' footsteps when she goes down the aisle someday.

Whether you are married or single, widowed or divorced, I think the lines "To speak when words are needed, and to share the silence when they're not," can be a useful guide to any relationship you may have.

I'm certainly going to use it at the wedding reception! 


No comments:

Post a Comment