Monday, April 8, 2013

A Monday memory.....

Remembering two amazing, strong women who passed away today....



Dame Margaret Thatcher

I have always greatly admired this incredible woman.  
First female Prime Minister of Great Britain and the longest reigning Prime Minister.
Those two accomplishments alone are truly outstanding.
Yet it was her strength and complete conviction in her beliefs which I found to be truly admirable.
I admit I also loved to listen to her shout her opponents down in the House of Commons.

Today, the current Prime Minister, David Cameron, summed up her eleven year reign:

"She didn't just lead our country, she saved our country."


Then later this afternoon.....


Annette Funicello

The earliest memory I have of television was watching the "Mickey Mouse Club."  My mother often recalled that I would sing my version of the opening song, "Mika Mouse," while proudly wear my Mouse Ears hat. I thought Annette was so beautiful, a sort of older sister who looked out for everyone on the show.
Years later I enjoyed watching her in beach themed movies with Frankie Avalon.  Then Annette came back into our homes once again with a series of Skippy peanut butter ads in 1979.

Annette suffered from the disease of multiple sclerosis.  Its devastating effects left her unable to walk or speak for many years. What a cruel illness.  Yet in rare footage I saw of her after her diagnosis, Annette could be seen still wearing the smile you see in the photo above.

May each of these women now find the peace they so truly deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment