Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tip for a Tuesday....

This was the first post I saw on Facebook this morning:

"Mr. Rogers' mom told him to look for the helpers in a tragedy. Mine told me to "clean something." When I'm anxious, cleaning something keeps my hands busy and gives me something productive and mindless to do to stay busy, when there's nothing else I can do. Crocheting is also a good idea, if you can't clean. Tonight, although I spent all weekend cleaning my house, I cleaned the kitchen again. And felt a little better."

Fabulous tips!!

As I read it I thought, that mom gave her good advice. Sounds like me. And then I realized.... it was me the writer was talking about.  The post was written by daughter #1. (She changed her profile picture, which is why I didn't recognize it was her at first!)

Starting at an early age my mother taught me to "clean something" or keep busy in times of trouble.  When her first grandchild, my nephew Billy, was two and half years old, he was diagnosed with leukemia.  I could always tell when Billy was having a treatment or bone marrow test because my mother would get out the ironing board. She would iron for hours, waiting for the phone to ring with news of how things were going.  During the nearly three years Billy fought the disease, my mother cleaned out closets, reorganized the kitchen cabinets and pantry closet, and just about ironed everything in sight.  It did nothing to change what was going on but it kept her sane during those awful and anxious days.

I too, had just set up my ironing board yesterday when I stopped and saw the reports coming in about the explosions in Boston.  I was grateful to have something to concentrate on while praying and waiting for answers to text messages.  Thankfully, my college roommate and her family, who live just outside Boston, were all safe and accounted for, as were two of the sons of a dear friend.   Further good news came through that a close friend of daughter #1was also safe.  

So take a tip from us - when the going gets tough - get out the ironing board.  Or vacuum.  Or wool.  Keep busy.  Keep your sanity.

And say a prayer ..... for all of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment