Monday, April 15, 2013

A Monday memory....

Thoughts and prayers are with the people in Boston affected by this afternoon's explosions.
Little concrete information is known at this time.
Clearly, it is a frightening situation for everyone in the area.
I pray for the victims, first responders, law enforcement officials, as well as family and friends of everyone who has been touched by this tragedy.

Sadly, like many people today, I have a personal memory of a bombing. The Englishman and I were in London in December of 1983.  We had just spent the morning with his parents and family, shopping and enjoying the sights of Christmas around the city.  We returned to the hotel to rest before heading out again.  Suddenly there was an enormous "boom" which was followed seconds later by a "bang".  Looking out the window, we could see a plume of black smoke rising not far away.  One of the kids sort of laughed and said it sounded like a bomb.  My father-in-law looked over at me, nodded, and mouthed the words, "It is a bomb."  Within minutes news reports came across the television confirming his statement.

A car bomb, planted by members of the Provisional IRA, had gone off outside the famous department store, Harrods.  Six people were killed that day - three police officers and three civilians.  An American was among the dead.

Among the many reasons this incident has stayed with me is the fact that just twenty-four hours earlier, I had been shopping in Harrods.  I had been in the men's department, which is located on the ground floor, near the side entrance. Where the bomb had gone off. Ironically, I was purchasing a bright red tie for the Englishman.

They say timing is everything, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment